Tuesday, April 15, 2008

AARPed

Karina is in Columbus, Ohio, today through Thursday, and I am being held hostage by my children. They have my hands and feet roped to a chair right now and are playing with matches. Tony is the one with the matches; Eva is the one clapping. I don't think I am going to get any sponsorships tonight, unless somebody wants to sponsor a rescue mission. But nobody knows where Cary, IL is. Except the IRS. And AARP.

I mention AARP because they finally found me today. I got through five years of my 50s without them knowing it. When Karina turned 50, the AARP mailman came the same day. But I had outwitted AARP by acting 18 and having a Kucinich sticker on my car.

But now, it's over. There's the AARP mailing on the table. Kids, if you're going to set me aflame burn that envelope first. I don't want to open it; I want to die young. How can I expect to get any sponsors for ALDAcon if I'm AARPed? With my c.i.'s I can hear them now: "Give money to you, old man? Give money to you? Why don't you raise money for something your age, like AARP?"

Because the kids have me tied to this chair, that's why.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I read an article about a captioner doing probono work for exactly this type of situations (ALDA and HLA). She is out of LA but perhaps she does remote captioning or arrangements can be made for her or someone working under her to attend. Or...she may even know of someone who would be able to help you find what you need.

I believe her link is on my blog under "real time captioning".

Beck